My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jakestangel.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 6, 2008

Oil, wood, and cardboard boxes

We spent our first build day constructing walls, basically prefab, for an upcoming house to be built by the Providence Habitat For Humanity. The build was held in a warehouse, and I was almost more enamored with the space and the light than I was with building these walls. I got a good chunk of hammering in, which always feels great, then took some time to snoop around with my camera, half shooting for the Bike & Build site and half for myself. I didn't feel bad about not working full-time, we had more than enough manpower there, and actually finished the job in half the time Habitat thought it would take. So internet high fives to all us riders.

Branching off an earlier post I made about industrialization and Americana, I'm realizing I'm more and more fond of the way the country worked in the 1920's-1970's. There's something so wholesome, tangible, authentic, and earnest about the character and products from this time period. It's definitely something I'm looking to capture in my photos. I believe these traits began to fly out the door with the rise of globalization, the internet, and a lesser reliance on our country as a provider for itself. There are tons of economic, sociological, and cultural issues tied to this idea, I'll be getting into later.

I love this trip already, and I haven't even left yet.

Photos:





No comments: