My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.jakestangel.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mission Accomplished

The actual 'mission accomplished' I'm referring to: I finally raised the $4,000 needed for this year's ride. It was super tough this second time around, especially considering this progressively hellish economy, so I wasn't all too surprised when the majority of fundraising letters I sent out eons ago were met with no response.

I did get a little entrepreneurial/creative this past weekend to help raise my last $1,000 dollars. I borrowed a bike trainer from a local bike shop, and donned my Bike & Build jersey, spandex, and a massive sign that read "I'm biking across the country this summer to support Habitat For Humanity". I posted up in one of the most affluent and bike-friendly communities near me, and quickly raised $400 cash in three hours. It's all going to the cause, scout's honor. Interestingly enough, I tended to receive wads of either $20's or $1's, but not much in between. Definitely a lesson in marketing and demographics. I finished the day stoked, and also got to meet tons of friendly and supportive folks.

I'd also like to send a special shout-out to two families, the Furedi-Boyles and the Leons, as well as my moms, for consistently holding great interest and financial investment in both of these rides. Money can most certainly not buy love, but its quite a touching honor and privilege to know these folks have gone out of their way to have my back, it definitely means alot.

1 comment:

Jess said...

haha I had no idea you did that for fundraising! Sounds like fun though, and something I would totally do if for some weird reason B&B could ever fit into my life again. Want to do it a 3rd time Jake? We could be the next Jake and Shira...